Here are just some of the ingredients that can be used to create your own trifle.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- CAKE LAYER: (apprx. 1 - 8 or 9" cake layer, 1 loaf pan, 1/2 to 1 angel food cake)
- --ladyfingers, sponge cake, angel food cake, pound cake, brownies, blondies, waffles,
- --cake mix cakes, sweet muffins, leftover cupcakes,
- FRUIT SPREADS: (apprx. 1 cup)
- --jams, jellies, curds with flavors in strawberry, peach, orange, lemon and so on
- LIQUORS, LIQUEURS or FRUIT JUICE (apprx. 1/4 - 1/2 cup):
- --rum, bourbon, Brandy, Amaretto, Kahlua, orange juice, etc.
- CREAMY LAYER: (apprx. 2 cups)
- --homemade custard, puddings, stabilized whipped cream, cream cheese mixed with whipped cream
- SWEETENED WHIPPED CREAM (1 - 2 cups)
- FINAL LAYER AND GARNISHES: (1 - 2 cups) - coarsely chopped
- --sliced fruits, candies, chocolate chips, chocolate shavings, coconut, crushed cookies, toasted nuts
Choose trifle layer flavors. Prepare cake layer. Pieces should be uniform in shape (1" - 2" x 3" cubes). Spread with jam, jelly or curds. Place half the pieces in trifle dish, punch bowl or tall-sided glass dish. Sprinkle with liquor or fruit juice. Add 1/2 of prepared item for creamy layer on top of cake layer. Add fruits and/or candies (save some for top garnish.) Repeat with cake pieces, liquor sprinkling and rest of creamy layer. If regular cream not used for creamy layer, top with plain sweetened whipped cream. Garnish trifle with left over fruit and/or candy pieces. Refrigerate for at least an hour prior to serving. Refrigerate leftovers.