Thanks to the California Raisin Marketing Board for allowing us to use this recipe and photo.
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 8 minutes
Total Time: 33 minutes
Yield: Serves 8
- 1-1/4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cold butter flavor all-vegetable shortening
- 1/4 cup cold unsalted butter
- 1 egg yolk
- 3 or 4 tablespoons cold milk
- 1-1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 small can (8 ounces) crushed pineapple packed in juice
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- 1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 1 cup California golden raisins
- 2 packages (8 ounces each) pineapple-flavor cream cheese spread*
- 1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 tablespoon pineapple juice
- 1/2 cup California golden raisins
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped walnuts; for garnish.
In medium bowl, combine flour, sugar and salt. Add cold shortening and butter and cut in with fork or pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Beat egg yolk and cold milk together and add to flour mixture, a little at a time, tossing with a fork until dough holds together. Shape into a flat round and chill 30 minutes or overnight. Roll out between two sheets of wax paper to fit a 9-inch deep-dish pie pan. Arrange in pan; flute edges, trimming excess dough and chill 30 minutes. Prick all over with fork or line with foil and add pie weights. Bake at 450oF for 8 minutes.
Mix cornstarch and sugar together in a small saucepan. Stir in pineapple and juice. Heat and stir over low heat until thick. Add spoonfuls of hot mixture to egg until warm; return all to saucepan and heat through. Then, stir in vanilla and butter until butter is melted. Remove from heat. Finally, gently stir in chips, walnuts and raisins; spoon into baked crust and spread evenly. Chill.
Blend cream cheese spread, powdered sugar and pineapple juice. Gently fold in raisins and spread on cooled pie. Sprinkle with chopped walnuts. Chill and serve cold. Serves 8.
*Note: Combine 16 ounces softened cream cheese and one 8-ounce can crushed pineapple, drained thoroughly, if spread is not available.