Want to expand your "baking horizons"? Try using fresh pumpkin instead of canned this year. Just follow these simple directions to prepare your pumpkin for baking.
Time Required: 25 Minutes
- Rinse pumpkin.
- Place in the microwave.
- Microwave on high for 2 minutes.
- Remove from oven.
- Pierce entire pumpkin skin deeply with a fork or metal skewer.
- Microwave on high for another 2 to 4 minutes.
- Remove from oven and wrap in foil.
- Let stand for about 5 minutes.
- Slice open the pumpkin.
- Remove seeds.
- Scrape-out pulp.
- Mash pulp.
- Don't use those huge pumpkins that are used for Jack-O-Lanterns. The meat is tasteless and dry.
- Pick what is called a "Pie Pumpkin", which is between the size of a softball or cantaloupe.
- The entire pumpkin should be completely dotted from piercing.
- About 2 cups of pulp is needed to make a 9-inch pie.
- A 15-ounce can of pure pumpkin holds about 1-3/4 cups of densely-packed pulp.
What You Need
- Microwave Oven
- Metal fork or skewer
- Very Sharp Knife
- Spoon to Remove Seeds
- Fork to Mash Pulp
- A Great Recipe to Use Pulp.