Prep Time: 35 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 20 minutes
- 5 eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2-1/2 cups milk
- 2-1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon or freshly gound nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 cups day-old French bread, divided
- 3/4 cup raisins* or other dried fruit
- 1 cup chopped and lightly toasted nuts (pecans, walnuts, hazelnuts etc)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons cinnamon-sugar mixture**
*If you want more flavorful raisins, plump them. Cover the raisins with very warm water and allow sit for 10 minutes. Instead of water, liquor or juice can also be used. If using room temperature liquid, soak raisins for 25 minutes.
**Instead of purchasing the cinnamon-sugar mixture, you can make your own. Mix 2 tablespoons of sugar with 1 tablespoon cinnamon. More or less cinnamon may be used. Just be sure to keep to the total amount the same.
Servings depending portion size, apprx. 12 to 16.
Serve warm with a Hard Sauce
or a Caramel Rum Sauce.