Here are two ways showing how to soften brown sugar. One involves using the microwave. The other way is done overnight.
Time Required: Less than a Minute or Overnight
- Place the brown sugar in a microwavable bowl.
- Put a couple of damp paper towels on top of the brown sugar.
- Tightly cover the bowl.
- Microwave Method:
Heat in the microwave for 30 seconds. If not yet softened, continue to heat for 10 second intervals. Fluff with fork and use immediately.
- Overnight Method:
Leave sealed bowl on kitchen counter overnight. Sugar may be used immediately or stored in the refrigerator.
- To keep new brown sugar from hardening, once opened, keep it in an airtight container.
- How to Measure Brown Sugar with Step by Step Photos
- One Pound Bag or Box of Brown Sugar is about 2-1/2 cups packed brown sugar.
What You Need
- Brown Sugar
- Microwavable bowl
- Plastic Wrap