Step by Step Photo Instructions for Making Friendship Bread
On Making Friendship Bread
- Amish Friendship Bread Starter
- 2 cups flour, divided
- 2 cups sugar, divided
- 2 cups milk, divided
- 2 cups flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 (5 ounce) instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts, lightly toasted
Before Beginning, Keep This Information in Mind:
- To better keep up with the process of making this bread, add the actual dates to this recipe. Day One is the date you first received (or made) the bag of starter.
- Do not use any metal spoons or bowls with this recipe. It will interfere with the process of fermentation.
- To keep the bag of Amish Friendship Bread Starter from exploding, check it more than once a day. Be sure to release any excess air build-up.
- When told to knead the bag, do so carefully. Hold the resealable area in one hand, and use the other hand to knead the starter.
Day Two - ______________ - Knead the bag.
Day Three - ____________ - Knead the bag.
Day Four - _____________ - Knead the bag.
Day Five - _____________ - Knead the bag.
Day Six - ______________ - Add the 1 cup flour, 1 cup sugar and 1 cup milk to the bag. Knead until well mixed.
Day Seven - ____________ - Knead the bag
Day Eight - ____________ - Knead the bag
Day Nine - _____________ - Knead the bag
Day Ten - ______________ -
Pour contents of resealable bag into non-metal bowl. Add remaining flour, sugar and milk. Stir with wooden or plastic spoon. Place 1 cup of starter in each of 3 resealable 1-gallon bags. Give these to your friends. Use the remaining starter to make your bread.
Making the Bread -
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Grease two 8x4-inch loaf pans. Combine the first set of ingredients (from flour to under pudding mix) under Basic Bread Recipe in a large bowl with a wire whisk. In a medium bowl, combine the second set of ingredients, from vegetable oil to vanilla. Mix well. To the dry ingredients, add the leftover starter and wet ingredients. Mix until just combined. Stir in the nuts. Carefully, pour batter into prepared pans. Bake for 1 hour.
More About Making Friendship Bread
Breakfast and Brunch Recipes
Biscuits and Scones like:
Biscuits Made from a Homemade Biscuit Mix
Favorite Quick Breads:
Coffee Cakes Like:
Orange Coffee Cake
Cherry Swirl Coffee Cake
All About Pancakes:
Basic Sweet Crepes
All About French Toast:
Basic French Toast
Eggnog French Toast
Mango French Toast
All About Waffles:
Basic Fruit Syrup
Butter Pecan Syrup
Brown Sugar and Cinnamon Sugar
Easy Breakfast Bars