Prep Time: 50 minutes
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
- 1/3 cup light corn syrup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3-1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1-1/2 cups creamy peanut butter
- 1 pound semi-sweet chocolate
- 3 tablespoons plus 1-1/2 teaspoons solid vegetable shortening
Preparation:Mix first four ingredients. Gradually add powdered sugar and peanut butter, beating until blended. Sprinkle about 1 tablespoon additional powdered sugar on flat surface. Spoon peanut butter mixture onto prepared surface. Knead about 5 minutes. Using 1-1/2 teaspoon mixture per candy, shape into egg form. Place on wax paper covered pan. Refrigerate 1-2 hours.
Melt chocolate and shortening in a double boiler. Continually stir chocolate and shortening. Will take about 20 minutes for chocolate and shortening to combine smoothly. Place eggs on the tines of a fork and dip in chocolate. If chocolate gets stiff, place back in top of double boiler and work until thinner.
Allow to dry briefly. Loosely cover and store in cool, dry place. Yield: 40 candies.