About this recipe - "A beautiful version of an old favorite, these carrot teacakes make a great little morsel to serve at a spring party-or just as an after-dinner delight for the family. The spelt flour offers a nutty, wholesome flavor without being heavy. These are great even without the Maple Cream Cheese Frosting (but even more delicious with it)! - GMB (Green Market Baking)"
Yield: 12 Spring Carrot Teacakes
- Spring Carrot Teacakes -
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup maple syrup (preferably Grade B)
- 11/4 cups light olive oil
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup spelt flour
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 3 cups grated carrots
- 1 cup chopped nuts, such as walnuts or pecans
- Maple Cream Cheese Frosting-
- 12 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- Beat the eggs until frothy. In a separate bowl, mix the maple syrup, oil, sour cream, lemon juice, and vanilla extract. Add the syrup mixture to the eggs and beat another minute.
- Sift the flour, salt, baking powder, and cinnamon. Add to the egg mixture and mix until just combined.
- Fold in the carrots and nuts.
- Pour into cupcake liners in a muffin pan and bake for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Top with Maple Cream Cheese Frosting
- Beat ingredients together until fluffy and spreadable. Use a generous dollop on top of each Spring Carrot Teacake.
GMB Tip: For a smoother, lighter texture, omit the spelt flour and use an all-purpose flour.