Besides a Crockpot (slow cooker or electric cooker), you'll need:
- The manufacturer's baking insert with a lid and baking rack.
- OR -
- An 1, 2 or 3 pound coffee or nut can or any metal mold that holds 4, 8 or 12 cups. (copper gelatin molds, baking pans, etc.)
- A double thickness of paper towels.
- Aluminum foil.
Crockpot Baking is so simple that all you have to do is:
- Grease insert or can with solid vegetable shortening.
- Only half fill the insert or can. This allows for rising.
- Heat needs to be able to circulate around the insert. If a baking rack isn't available, crumple up enough aluminum foil to raise the can about an inch from the bottom of the crockpot.
- If there is not lid, cover the can with a double thickness of paper towels.
- Place lid on crockpot for baking.
- Generally, baking is done on high heat, but you should follow the recipe instructions.
- Only lift lid to check for doneness. Lifting the lid too often will let necessary heat escape.
- Use pot holders or folded paper towels to remove can or insert from crockpot.
- To more easily remove cake or bread from a can, open bottom of can with can opener and push food out.
Crockpot Banana Bread
Bittersweet Chocolate Mess
Coconut Crockpot Cake
Crockpot Bread Pudding
Easy Chocolate Fondue