- 2 tablespoons dark molasses
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 egg
- 3-1/4 cups flour
- 1 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 tablespoons Spice Islands Orange Peel
- 1 tablespoon Spice Islands Ginger, Ground
- 2 teaspoons Spice Islands Cinnamon, Ground Saigon
- 1/2 teaspoon Spice Islands Cloves, Ground
- 1/4 teaspoon Spice Islands Nutmeg, Ground
- 1/4 teaspoon Spice Islands Allspice, Ground
- 1 cup cold butter, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 12 ounces white chocolate baking squares
- Whisk molasses, water and egg in a small bowl; set aside.
- If using an electric mixer: Mix flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, orange peel, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg and allspice in large mixing bowl. Cut in butter using a pastry blender or 2 knives until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Pour molasses mixture over flour; beat with mixer until dough forms.
If using a food processor: Place flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, orange peel, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, nutmeg and allspice in food processor; process 10 seconds. Add butter; process until dough resembles coarse meal, about 30 seconds. Pour molasses mixture over flour and process until dough forms. Remove dough from processor.
- Turn out on lightly floured surface. Knead 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer dough to bowl; cover. Chill a minimum of 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- Roll dough between 2 sheets of waxed paper to 1/8-inch thickness. Cut with cookie cutters. Place on baking sheets; bake for 10 to 12 minutes. Cool.
- Melt shortening and white baking chocolate in heavy saucepan over medium heat. Dip half of each cookie in chocolate. Place on cooling racks or wax paper to let chocolate harden.
More Cookie Recipes to Try
Butter Spritz Cookies
Clean Your Pantry Bars
The Best Brownies
Apple Butter Oat Bars
Sunflower Almond Bar Cookies
Even More Bar Cookies Like Rice Krispies Treats and Lemon Bars
Work on Your Baking Skills With These
How to Grease and Flour Baking Pans
How to Measure Brown Sugar Basic Cake Making
Making Buttercream Frosting
Frosting a Cake
Making a Pie Crust
How to Make a Lattice Pie Crust
Making a Lattice Pie Crust
Making an Apple Pie
Making Bread Pudding
Making Ice Cream
Making Quick Bread
Making Canning Jar Cakes
How to Make a Chess Pie
How to Hull a Strawberry