Read my review of Bake!
Chill Overnight or at least: 4 hours
Total Time: 4 hours
Yield: One 8- to 9-in. dome-shaped cake
- 2 layers Devil's Food Cake
- Whipped cream, made with 4 cups cream and 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup dark rum for sprinkling, optional
- 1/2 pint fresh raspberries, optional
- Chocolate shavings or fine devil's food cake crumbs for finishing
- One 1 1/2- to 2-quart round-bottomed bowl, buttered and lined with plastic wrap
- Cut the devil's food layers into 1/4-inch-thick vertical slices.
- Line the bowl with a single layer of the slices, patching them together if necessary. Sprinkle the slices with rum.
- Spread a large spoonful of whipped cream on top of the layer.
- Trim 2 or 3 cake slices to the diameter of the bottom of the bowl and arrange them on the cream. Sprinkle with rum and spread with more cream. If you're using raspberries, sprinkle a few on each layer. 5 Repeat, cutting enough cake slices to fit the changing diameter of the bowl as you build up higher and so that they cover the previous layer of cream, until the bowl is full. Finish with a layer of cake.
- Wrap and chill the bowl at least 4 hours or overnight. If chilling the cake overnight, only whip 3 cups of the cream as in the recipe on page 159 and whip the rest for covering the cake soon before you're going to serve it.
- Place a cardboard or platter on the bowl and invert, then lift off the bowl. If the cake is stuck, wring out a clean kitchen towel in hot water and place on the bowl. This will melt the layer of butter between the bowl and the plastic wrap, then you can lift off the bowl and carefully peel off the plastic.
- Spread the outside of the cake with the remaining whipped cream and sprinkle with chocolate shavings or fine devil's food cake crumbs.