Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour, 25 minutes
Yield: 10-12 servings
- 1 box of yellow cake mix, with ingredients as directed by box
- 3 eggs
- two 14 ounce cans evaporated milk
- 15 ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Leche Quemada (Cajeta Caramel)*
- 1/2 cup chopped and lightly toasted pecans
Flan: Add eggs, milk and vanilla to a blender. Blend together until well blended.
In a bundt pan, spray with non-stick spray and flour it. Cover the bottom and the sides with the Cajeta. Sprinkle bottom of pan with nuts. Add flan mixture. On top of this add the cake mixture. Cook for 45-60 minutes.
Notes from Turptoo:
*One can find the leche quemada at any Hispanic store or bakery. It is a thick caramel sauce. I have used regular caramel and it didn't come out the same. (Coronado Cajeta Quemada comes in a 23 ounce bottle.)
**The pan of water is important so that the flan doesn't overcook. Also, the pan of water needs to be preheated to ensure even temperature in the oven while baking.