- Measure ingredients carefully.
- Use the specified flour.
- Always use room-temperature, large eggs, unless recipes calls for other. (If in a hurry, the chill can be removed from eggs by dipping in a bowl of warm water.)
- Use the shortening called for in a recipe.
- Butter should be at room temperature.
- Most recipes require that the oven be preheated.
- Always use the size pans called for in a recipe.
...To calculate the width of the pan, measure across the top from inside edge to inside edge.
- Shiny metal pans produce the best cakes.
- Dark non stick or glass pans readily absorb heat. Cakes baked in these pans might do better in an oven set for 25 degrees lower than recipe specifies.
- Unless otherwise specified, grease and flour pans.
- Generously grease the inside of pans, bottom and sides.
- Sprinkle with flour.
- Shake pan to evenly coat.
- Tap out any access flour.
- Bake on center rack. Don't allow pans to touch each other or wall of oven.
- Test for doneness 8 minutes prior to recipe directions for doneness.
- Use a toothpick to prick the center of the cake.
- If the toothpick comes out with just a few dry crumbs, the cake is done.
- If the toothpick is wet, continue to bake, checking at 2 minute intervals.
- Cooling Layered Cakes: ...Cool for 10 minutes in pan on wire rack. Remove from pan and completely cool on wire rack.
- Cool tube pan and snack cakes completely in the pan on a wire rack.
- Let cakes completely cool before frosting, unless specified differently in recipe.
- Use serrated knife to trim cake layers, so cakes will sit evenly.
- Use a 1-inch wide, dry paint brush to brush-off any loose crumbs.
- Unfrosted cakes can last up to 6 months if tightly wrapped.
- Frosted cakes should be placed, unwrapped on a foil lined cookie sheet. Freeze until hard and then tightly wrap cake.
- Unwrap and then defrost in the refrigerator.
Cake RecipesWhite Cake
Italian Cream Cake
Basic Yellow Cake
Pig Pickin' Cake
German Chocolate Cake
Chocolate Fudge Cake
More Cake Recipes
Raspberry Red Velvet Cake
Frosted Sheet Cake
Betty's Lemon Sheet Cake
Better Than S.. Cake
Blueberry Limoncello Cake
Apple Spice Cake
Tomato Soup Cake
Chocolate Caramel Peanut Cake
Double Pineapple Upside down Cake
Scotch Chocolate Cake
Ooey Gooey Butter Cake
Swimming Pool Cake
Tres Leche Cake
Work on Your Baking Skills With These
How to Grease and Flour Baking Pans
How to Measure Brown Sugar Basic Cake Making
Making Buttercream Frosting
Frosting a Cake
Making a Pie Crust
How to Bake Blind
Making a Lattice Pie Crust
Making an Apple Pie
Making Bread Pudding
Making Ice Cream
Making Quick Bread
Making Canning Jar Cakes
How to Make a Chess Pie
How to Hull a Strawberry
How to Make Drop Cookies