This bread machine recipe for Cheddar and Bacon Bread is great for a brunch or with a salad for dinner.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 2 hours, 30 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours, 50 minutes
- 1-1/3 cups water
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1-1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons plus 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 4 cups bread flour
- 3 tablespoons nonfat dry milk
- 2 teaspoons dry active yeast
- 2 cups shredded cheddar or swiss cheese
- 8 slices bacon, crumbled
- -or- 3 tablespoons bacon bits*
Place ingredients in bread pan in order listed or according to manufacturer's directions. The cheddar cheese and bacon are added at the fruit and nut signal. Depending on your machine this could be anywhere from 30 to 40 minutes into the cycle. Remember, when adding the yeast last, make a small well with your finger to place the yeast. This will insure the proper timing of the yeast reaction. This bread is processed at the Basic (Standard) cycle or according to manufacturer's directions. (Note: I've done it on the Rapid Cycle, but the cheese and bacon is completely incorporated into the bread. You still get the great flavor, but the nice texture is gone.
* Imitation or real bacon bits may be used. They can be found in the salad dressing section of the grocery store. If you use real bacon bits, use 1/2 cup.