Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 5 minutes
- Pastry for 2-crust pie
- 1 egg
- 4 cups fresh pitted sour cherries
- OR 2 -1 pound cans tart cherries, drained, with 1/3 cup juice reserved
- 2-3/4 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut in little cubes
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Combine fruit, tapioca, salt, sugar and extract. (If using canned cherries add reserved fruit juice. Stir and let mixture stand for 5 minutes.
Spoon mixture in prepared crust. Dot with butter cubes. Use egg glaze to moisten rim of pie. Roll-out top crust to 1/8-inch thick. You may either cut crust into 1/2-inch strips or put pastry on as is. Just be sure to cut vents into the top. Make sure pastries are pinched together. Either brush top crust with egg glaze or milk. If using milk, sprinkle top with sugar.
Bake for 20 minutes and then use foil around the crust edges to protect from burning. Bake for 20 more minutes. Cool on wire rack.
Serve plain or with whipped cream.