Here are some simple steps for frosting a cake.
Time Required: 30 minutes
- Let the cake cool, uncovered, for four hours (or overnight).
- Slice off thin layer, if top of cake is domed.
- Use a pastry brush to clean off loose crumbs.
- Place a spoon of icing on a serving plate to keep cake from sliding.
- Place the first layer on the plate, top side down.
- Spread 1/2 cup of frosting to the edges on the first layer.
- Place the second cake layer on top of the first layer, top side up.
- Frost the top and then the sides of the cake.
- For a smooth finish, let the cake set for an hour.
- Gently rub the surface smooth with parchment paper and your hands.
- Store cakes in an airtight container at about 40 degrees.
- Freeze a frosted cake on a cookie sheet. Once frozen, place it in a plastic bag.
- Thaw cake, unwrapped, at room temperature.